bootup and cpufreq driver support for ZFx86 processor

From: Hiroshi Miura
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 09:23:50 EST

Hi, Alex and Thaly,

I wrote Cyrix/NatSemi MediaGX setup/driver in linux.
I can get ZFx86 CPU datasheet, and look at it,
it seems similar to MediaGX, I think .
But datasheets is not well informative.

I'm just start trying the CPUFreq driver
and setup cpu codes.

Can you wait and try testing my code?
And can you send me some informations?

I want results of 'lspci -v', dmesg of bootup, 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'.
I need a 'vendor id' and a 'cpuid' of that cpu which is not on a datasheet.

At Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:42:16 +0600,
Alexey Shinkin wrote in LKML:

> hi!
>
> I am playing with Linux 2.6.0 on a PC-104 board with
> ZFx86 CPU - it is Cyrix core based 486. Kernel 2.4.18 detects the CPU
> as Cyrix Cx486DX2, but 2.6.0 says it is 486.
>
> I looked through /arch/i386/kernel/setup.c in 2.4.18 sources,
> /arch/i386/kernel/cpu/common.c in 2.6.0 sources and found the
> identify_cpu() function that seems to be working a bit incorrectly in
> 2.6.0.
>
> In 2.4.18 it checks if the CPU able to execute CPUID , if cannot - the
> id_and_try_enable_cpuid() is called, which identifies old Cyrixes and
> tries to turn on CPUID on some of them. Even if the CPU is not
> CPUID-capable,Cyrix is detected by test_cyrix_52div(), at least, the
> function fills x86_vendor & x86_vendorid fields in for Cyrixes. The
> fields are used later for vendor-specific initialization.
>
> In 2.6.0 identify_cpu() does not check CPUID-uncapable CPUs by
> test_cyrix_52div() and
> doesnt try to enable CPUID on them, so , further generic_identify()
> considers my CPU as usual 486, doesnt find vendor in get_cpu_vendor
> and after all default CPU init procedure is performed instead of
> vendor-specific.
>
> I understand that now people are more focused on newest P4's,
> Athlons64 etc , but I think that support for old CPUs also shouldnt be
> broken...
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Alex Shinkin