Re: PATCH - InfiniBand Access Layer (IBAL)

From: Johannes Erdfelt
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 19:48:47 EST

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:54:14PM -0800, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> > > Did you actually read it?
> >
> > The code on openib.org? Yes, I wrote some of it.
> >
> > I would be the first to say that there are portions that need to be
> > rewritten, but I definately do not think all or even most of it does.
> >
> > That's why I was asking what specifically you found fatally wrong with
> > it. I haven't seen many critiques, so I can only assume it's the same
> > things I see wrong with it.
>
> Start with the thing Robert already mentioned. Ad ontop of that:
>
> - the horrible Winodes/Linux compat code. We all know this kind
> of compat code is messy. But the way it's don in this code is just
> incredibly idiotic.
> - totally braindead use of macro abstraction
> - those split into far too many files
> - wrong use of dma mapping abstraction
> - braindead malloc code
> - wrong modversions handling duplicated in every file
>
> I'm really surprised you're admitting to having touched that code.
> I'd have guessed everyone who did would hide in his house ashamed.

You do realize that the code on openib.org is from multiple vendors,
right? I only touched one part of that code. That's why I said 'some'.

Only some of the code has the problems you listed, and some of those are
far from fatal.

How about I ask you what parts of the code do you feel don't need a
complete rewrite?

> > > p.s. if you reply to my mails please keep me in the To line. Really,
> > > please don't do any fany reply to group tricks unless people explicitly
> > > request it in the Mail-Fup header.
> >
> > If you really want duplicates of all the replies, sure, I'll make an
> > exception for you.
> >
> > I don't see why a smarter client, or mail filter, couldn't do the same
> > thing without depending on the behaviour of the sender.
>
> Replying to people personally is good taste. You might know I'm on
> lkml but on many other lists I'm not. As are other people on lkml.
> A filter can easily filter out duplicates but it can't magically
> create copies of mails not addressed to you.

Sure it can. I replied to your email. Check the mail headers,
specifically the ones labeled References and In-Reply-To.

> In addition I tend to read my inbox fairly quick all the time and
> the lkml mailbox only when I'm at least a little idle.

I didn't need an immediate answer.

JE