Re: [2.4] heavy-load under swap space shortage

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 09:40:38 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

it is the absolutely worst case since both lru could be of around the same
size (800M zone-normal-lru and 1.2G zone-highmem-lru), maximizing the
loss of "age" information needed for optimal reclaim decisions.

You only lose age information if you don't put equal aging
pressure on both zones. If you make sure the allocation and
pageout pressure are more or less in line with the zone sizes,
why would you lose any aging information ?

I can't see that you would, no. But maybe I've missed something.
We apply pressure equally except when there is a shortage in a
low memory zone, in which case we can scan only the required
zone(s).

This case I think is well worth the unfairness it causes, because it
means your zone's pages can be freed quickly and without freeing pages
from other zones.