Re: 2.6.4-mm1 - 4g patch breaks when X86_4G not selected

From: Neil Brown
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 20:48:09 EST

On Saturday March 13, neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thursday March 11, akpm@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > I thought I might try selectively removing patches, but it isn't clear
> > > what order the borken-out patches were applied it.
> > > If you have an ordered list, I can try a binary search.
> >
> > See the `series' file in the broken-out directory.
> >

> Ahh... would you consider moving that up one level, or spelling it
> "Series" or "00series" or something to make it stand out for the
> uninitiated??
>
> > > Or if you can suggest some patches that I can try backing out....
> >
> > Maybe turn off -mregparm? Or back off the 4g/4g patches? Maybe they broke
> > non-4:4 code comehow.
> >

> Looks like it might be a good guess....

And it turns out it was spot on.
Applying 4g-2.6.0-test2-mm2-A5.patch (on top of preceding -mm1
patches) causes my server not to boot.

I tried all the broken out patches except
4g-2.6.0-test2-mm2-A5.patch
4g4g-locked-userspace-copy.patch

but then it couldn't find /sbin/init, even though the root filesystem
was successful found (I don't know if that is significant).

With all of mm1 applied, and with X86_4G selected, it boots fine.
But without X86_4G it doesn't get to print out any messages at all,
even with 'earlyprintk=vga' set.

I am happy to experiment with if you or anyone has patches you would
like tested.

NeilBrown