Re: Does sysfs really provides persistent hardware path to devices?

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 14:30:53 EST

Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxx> said:

[...]

> I am trying to assign name for a USB slot on my PCs front so that when I
> plug in USB stick or USB drive or whatever I get the same name. Always.

Not necessary: You can mount by volume label, or UUID (Yes, need a sane
filesystem for that... and MS-DOS ones aren't. Sorry.)

Dangerous: You plug a _different_ USB stick in, and think it is the same.

Besides, plugging your drive in "the same place" on USB is useful today,
with 1 or 2 conectors. Add hubs, and you are talking about hundreds of
places... better concentrate on getting the machine keep track of
bureaucratic details.