Re: Bloat report 2.6.3 -> 2.6.4

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 19:33:41 EST

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:59:40PM -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:57:13PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > But I think it's fair to say that new features that are on by default
> > > are in fact bloat in some sense.
> >
> > Perhaps in some sense, but not in any interesting sense.
> >
> > For the average computer you can buy at your supermarket today it isn't
> > very interesting whether the kernel is bigger by 1 MB or not.
> >
> > People who need to care about the size of the kernel [1] use hand-tuned
> > .config's that are far away from defconfig - and those people wouldn't
> > enable unneeded features that are on by default.
>
> And my coverage of creep in other _commonly used_ parts of the kernel
> would then be nil. Given that allyesconfig can't be expected to build
> a kernel on any given day, defconfig is the least arbitrary and most
> useful of arbitrary choices.
>
> > You use a metric "size increase of a defconfig kernel [2]", and I simply
> > claim that this metric doesn't measure anything useful for practical
> > purposes.
>
> defconfig is not an unreasonable approximation of features people use.

What exactly is your goal?

As already said:
*** For the average user, the size of the kernel doesn't matter *** [1]
*** People that care about size don't use defconfig ***

> If something is added to defconfig, odds are that people will start
> using it. Not perfect, obviously, but I've yet to see anyone suggest
> anything else that actually provides some coverage.

Did you ever consider that your approach of an "automated scheme" might
be an approach of very limited value?

cu
Adrian

[1] OK, 10 MB more would matter, but we are more in the ranges of
perhaps a few hundreds kB

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed