Re: anon_vma RFC2

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 19:24:29 EST

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 02:40:09PM -0500, Rajesh Venkatasubramanian wrote:
> Agreed. prio_tree is only useful for anon_vma. But, after
> linus-unshare-mremap, the anon_vma patch can be modified
> (simplified ?) a lot. You don't need any as.anon_vma, as.vma
> pointers in the page struct. You just need the already existing
> page->mapping and page->index, and a prio_tree of all anon vmas.

what you are missing is that we don't need a prio_tree at all with
anonmm+linus-unshare-mremap, prio tree can make sense only with
anon_vma, not with anonmm. the vm_pgoff is meaningless with anonmm.
find_vma (and the rbtree) already does the trick with anonmm. the
linus-unshare-mremap guarantees that a certain physical page will be
only at a certain virtual address in every mm, so prio_tree taking pgoff
into account isn't needed there, find_vma is more than enough.

any prio_tree can't fix anyways the problem that anonmm will force
the vm to scan all mm at the page->index address, even for a newly
allocated malloc region. that is optimized away by anon_vma, plus
anon_vma avoids the early-COW in mremap. the relevant downside of
anon_vma is that it takes some more byte in the vma to provide those
features.