Re: network/performance problem

From: Martin Josefsson
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 11:13:14 EST

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> >>c024c0d4 ip_conntrack_expect_related 47 0.0368
> >>c0105250 default_idle 2817 70.4250
> >>c024bae0 init_conntrack 3053 3.7232
> >>00000000 total 5962 0.0041
> >>
> >>It appears that netfilter has gone berzerk and is taking your machine out.
> >>
> >>Are you really sure that nothing is sitting there injecting new rules all
> >>the time?
> >

> > You mean a script calling 'iptables' to dynamically add rules? Nothing
> > like that at all. I dumped the current rules below.
> >
> > Are you looking at the init_conntrack numbers? While they seem, in the
> > long run, to be getting larger, they're not increasing monotonically.
> > My ping latencies, and the CPU percentage consumed by ksoftirqd_CPU0
> > just go up and and up (albeit slowly).
> >

> The size-128 slab keeps growing over time, I suspect something is
> registering lots of expectations. init_conntrack has to walk the
> entire list for each new connection. Which helpers are you using ?
> Please also post the content of /proc/net/ip_conntrack and your
> config.

If you want to see the numbers of expectations registered per second you
can apply the ctstat patch from patch-o-matic and download the small
utility mentioned in the helpfile.

I can prepare a regular patch for you if it sounds interesting.
We can add a counter for the number of expectations in the linked-list as
well in order to debug this. (the ctstat patch only adds counters for
new/deleted expectations)

/Martin