Re: ksoftirqd using mysteriously high amounts of CPU time

From: Brad Laue
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 02:02:23 EST

Hmamouche, Youssef wrote:
> Is there any way you could replace one of the network cards and test? I have a
feeling it's a hardware problem where the interrupt never gets acknowledged in
some situations - ksoftirq gets crazy.

you

This has occurred on any combination of the following six things:

Network cards:
Realtek 8139
SiS 900 Integrated
NE2K
3Com 3c905b

Motherboard chipsets:
ALI M1541
SiS 740
AMD 760

On the following kernel versions: 2.4.20, 2.4.21, 2.4.22, 2.4.23 (and -aa variants of 2.4.22, .23), 2.6.1, 2.6.2, 2.6.3.

It could well be a BIOS setting I'm habitually setting and forgetting about which is common to all motherboards, I'll have to check on that. Are there any of these I should be looking out for?