Re: ksoftirqd using mysteriously high amounts of CPU time

From: Brad Laue
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 13:21:52 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Brad Laue <brad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Brad Laue wrote:
> Hopefully the attached shows some irregularity. If not, I'll have to > reply back in a few weeks when the problem recurs over the course of time.

And without further ado, the attachment. It's been a long day. :)

It beats me. Something must be waking up ksoftirqd all the time.

If you have time, could you please apply the below, then wait for ksoftirqd
to go bad again and then run:

dmesg -c
echo 1 > /proc/sys/debug/0 ; sleep 1; echo 0 > /proc/sys/debug/0
dmesg -s 1000000 > /tmp/foo

and then send foo?

Will do. I think the profile output I generated was a bit premature. I'll wait a few days until the problem resurfaces in earnest and attach some more output then.

For now, it looks like the 'pppoe' process itself is waking up ksoftirqd the most according to the output of dmesg, but that may change with time.

Will keep you posted.

Brad