Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze

From: Richard Browning
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 08:42:38 EST

On Thursday 11 March 2004 06:50, Len Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 07:27, Richard Browning wrote:
> > When operating from the
> > command line it is usual to see a Machine Check Exception error
> > immediately prior to system failure.
>
> details?

CPU 2: Machine Check Exception: 000...0004
CPU 3: Machine Check Exception: 000...0004

Is what I get now. Previously I also got "Kernel Context Corrupt" in addition
to the above.

The MCE error can be made to appear when, for example, I'm running a
configure/compile cycle. I thought it might be a SATA issue so installed
Mandrake on an IDE drive but I got the same error.

As an aside, I'm running Gentoo with CFLAGS=-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe ... I
was running CFLAGS=-O3 -march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium4 -mmmx -ssse2 (and so
on) with no difference whatsoever (probably shouldn't be a surprise bearing
in mind the kernel is compiled with its own flags).

I've run MEMTEST with no errors reported. It's a very interesting problem,
since with SMP only everything works okay. But SMP+Hyperthreading and, sooner
rather than later, the thing will bomb.