Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: serious 2.6 bug in USB subsystem?

From: David Mosberger
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 00:37:42 EST

David.B> David Mosberger wrote:

>> The current OHCI relies on the internals of the dma_pool()
>> implementation. ...

David.B> It'd be good if you said _how_ you think it relies on such
David.B> internals.

>> I thought I did. Suppose somebody changed the dma_pool code
>> such that it would overwrite freed memory with an
>> 0xf00000000000000 pattern.

David.B> Erm, _anything_ the dma_pool code does with freed memory is
David.B> legal.

Glad to see we agree on that!

David.B> Anyway, please (a) see if 2.6.4 works for you, and (b)
David.B> direct any future followups on this thread _only_ to
David.B> linux-usb-devel.

The patch that's in 2.6.4 definitely looks like a step in the right
direction. I still have some concerns. I'll follow up on
linux-usb-devel with more details.

Thanks,

--david