Re: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 802.11b driver

From: Joel Jaeggli
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 20:09:15 EST

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Well that's typical in wireless, unfortunately. Certain parts of
> wireless are political tennis balls with the US govt. and FCC.
> Sometimes "put it in firmware" is the only way get ever get open source
> drivers at all :/

I would be nice to have firmwares for each regulatory domain the hardware
has been certified to work in. My laptops wander from country to country
and spectrum allocation/ouput limits are noticably different or more
limited than they are in the US. It would be nice to be able to be a good
citizen, or at least a law abiding resident alien. On my old cisco b cards
I could change this by flashing it, I have an old nokia b card which has a
dialog in the windows driver utility to set the regulatory domain.

The fcc isn't the only authority that we as users and chipset/card
vendors have a legal obligation to comply with.

> I'll pick firmware over no-driver any day.

likewise, but one may not be enough.