Re: [OT] Re: (0 == foo), rather than (foo == 0)

From: Peter Williams
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 18:18:32 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, David Ford wrote:

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

People who develop kernel code also know what a line-warp is.
They put a '\n' "[Enter] key" in their text every so-often,
maybe every 70 to 79 characters...

*thinks back to that 40
character screen wrap
that everyone used to
hound everyone else
for*

Really, your mail reading software should be capable of wrapping things
by itself, we really have progressed from yesteryear.

No. You can set your screen size to anything. If you have a very
high resolution screen, perhaps even 400 columns. If you are
sending mail to somebody, you need to make sure it fits on
their page, not your page.

My mail program (netscape) (when so configured) automatically wraps lines (at a specified width - I use 72) for me by inserting new line characters when it sends the message. It also wraps lines while I'm editing but without the new line characters so that when I delete some characters or insert some new ones in the middle of a paragraph I don't have to reformat the paragraph. I like this feature and assume that any reasonably modern mail program provides the same feature. So what's all the fuss about?

Peter
--
Dr Peter Williams, Chief Scientist peterw@xxxxxxxxxx
Aurema Pty Limited Tel:+61 2 9698 2322