fbconsole, radeon, default mode?

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 12:06:35 EST

I'm setting up a Gentoo system, and I have managed (despite my abject ignorance) to get fbconsole to work. Furthermore, I can get fbset to work and set whatever mode I want (I hate how fbset uses picoseconds instead of megahertz for dotclock, because you can't easily get the console display to exactly line up with the X server, but that's neither here nor there).

I made an init script to call fbset on boot to set the consoles to the mode I want, but there are problems with that I would like to avoid.

What I was wondering is if there was a way to program alternate default values into the console driver, say, as kernel config parameters or even boot parameters (I don't care which)... I could even tweak the source code! I don't want to give it just a resolution and have it GUESS about timing numbers, because I had to specially tweak the numbers to get console and X to line up, so I want to give the driver complete default timings.

I have searched the kernel docs, and I have googled to no avail. Can someone here give me some suggestions?

I'm running the latest Gentoo 2.4 kernel which is called "2.4.22-gentoo-r7", and I have a Radeon 9000 Pro card.

Thanks!