Re: Dummy network device

From: Rick Knight
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 11:54:18 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

| From: Rick Knight
| | David S. Miller wrote:
| | >On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:11:48 -0800
| >Rick Knight <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| >

| >>I found the answer. From the archive. Decided to look at dummy.c and | >>numdummies=1, changed it to numdummies=3 and rebuilt that module. Works | >>like a charm.
| >>
| >>Question/Suggestion, couldn't this be made an option at configuration? | >>Kind of like number_of_ptys=256.
| >> | >>

| >Specify "numdummies=3" on the module load command line.
| > | >
| >It's supposed to be changeable at module load time, without
| >rebuilding it. Try this e.g.:
| >
| >modprobe dummy numdummies=4
| >
| >--
| >~Randy
| > | >
| Randy, David,
| | Thanks for the replies.
| | I did try 'modprobe dummy numdummies=3', however, I didn't quote | numdummies=3. Are the quote required? Is there a modprobe.conf option? | Probably "options dummy "numdummies=3".

No, the quotes are not required. This works for me:
modprobe dummy numdummies=3

Using /etc/modprobe.conf also works, as you suggested, but without
the quotation marks:
options dummy numdummies=3

Either way shows this in /proc/net/dev:

dummy0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0
dummy1: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0
dummy2: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0

HTH.
--
~Randy

Randy,

I did try 'modprobe dummy numdummies=3' and I didn't work. I got an error and the following showed up in /var/log/messages...

Mar 9 14:42:33 l43w2k021 modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting dummy (/lib/modules/2.6.3/kernel/drivers/net/dummy.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Now it works and I get no error message. I tried numdummies= on another similarly configured machine and it worked first time. So maybe the error message above was caused by a typo when I tried it the first time

Anyway, numdummies= does work as you said.

Thanks,
Rick Knight
(rick@xxxxxxxxxxxx)