Re: objrmap-core-1 (rmap removal for file mappings to avoid 4:4 in<=16G machines)

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 21:51:09 EST

Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I don't recall that the objrmap patches ever significantly affected CPU
> > utilisation.
>
> it does, the number precisely is a 30% figure slowdown in kernel compiles.

I think this might have been increased system time, not increased runtime.

> also check any readprofile in any of your boxes, rmap is at the very
> top.

With super-forky workloads, yes. But we were somewhat disappointed in the
(lack of) improvements which [an]objrmap offered.

It sounds like a bunch of remeasuring is needed. No doubt someone will do
this as we move these patches along.