Re: new special filesystem for consideration in 2.6/2.7

From: Steve Longerbeam
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 12:59:10 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

(PRAMFS). It was originally developed for three major consumer
electronics companies for use in their smart cell phones
and other consumer devices.

An intro to PRAMFS along with a technical specification
is at the SourceForge project web page at
http://pramfs.sourceforge.net/. A patch for 2.6.3 has
been released at the SF project site.

Well, I'd certainly love to see some usable linux cell phones. (Well, one such beast in my pocket would probably be enough :-)
(Is there a way to make linux cell phone without second
cpu just for GSM stack?)

one of the chips used in their cell phones is the TI OMAP1510.
It has an embedded TMS320c55 DSP as well as an ARM 925.

Comments about pramfs: RAM is not really random access,
you'll find that doing byte-sized random reads is way slower
than linear read,
but you are right that it is very different from disk.

How do you handle powerfail in the middle of write?

good question, I don't - not in software anyway. But the companies
I mentioned may have implemented some kind of h/w safe shutdown,
but I'm not sure.

Do you run fsck or do you have some kind of logging?

If you mean journaling, no, pramfs is not a journaling fs.

And you're right, I still need to write an fsck for pramfs.
At this point there is no way to recover a corrupt fs.

Steve