Re: ACPI stack overflow

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 16:51:20 EST

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 Stuart_Hayes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I think I am getting a stack overflow when Linux is parsing the ACPI
> tables (initializing all the devices and running all the _STA methods).
> I am using the x86_64 architecture. I would like to try increasing the
> kernel stack size, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.
> Could someone tell me how to increase the kernel stack size?
> (And, has anyone else seen a problem with stack overflows with ACPI?)

Please fix your mailer. In Unix/Linux, we put in a [Enter] ('\n')
every once in awhile, usually every 79 charcters so that a line
of text does not exceed 80 characters. We do not let some indefinite
screen "auto-wrap".

> Thanks!
> Stuart
> stuart_hayes@xxxxxxxx

There have been continual changes over the years to reduce the
amount of kernel stack that the kernel uses because kernel stack-
space is "expensive". It needs to be changed in pages. I think
that if you have a stack-overflow, then you are writing poor
kernel code. In the kernel, do not put arrays on the stack, i.e,
in "local" space. Use kmalloc()/kfree() instead.

Basically, do not increase the stack size. It just masks problems.
It does not make them go away. If you need more stack, you
are doing something wrong.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).