Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 021 release

From: Dominik Kubla
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 02:24:10 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:37:05AM +0100, Dominik Kubla wrote:

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 04:09:57PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

I've released the 021 version of udev. It can be found at:
kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-021.tar.gz

Nice work, but I ran into a problem on my Debian system and i did use
the udev-019 permissions file for Debian. What's the story here anyway?

Debian has a "official" package. I recommend you use that if you have a
Debian system.

Hmm. Yes, i just tried it, but i am not impressed. Somebody tried very hard to make the resulting /dev look like devfs instead of following devices.txt... Especially unconditionally using tmpfs for /dev is a
bad idea if the user wants/needs to use ACLs.

So i'll continue to work from your sources.

I seem to be unable to assign group "cdrom" to my ATAPI DVD/CD-RW drive.
It appears to me that the permissions syntax is missing a possibility to
overide the owner/group based upon the class of the device.

Permissions are based on the name of the device.

Oh, i realized that. But my point is: shouldn't they be based on the CLASS of the device rather than the name? After all the names are changeable, but the class is not...

I checked the hotplug-devel archives and saw that somebody has already
posted a patch doing that. So i guess the question boils down to:
Will you accept it or not?

Is there a way to distinguish between CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and writers? It is
not unusual these days to have at least a DVD-ROM and CD-Writer in a
desktop system. If you look at the latest offers from Dell you will see
that they tend to include a DVD-ROM and a DVD+RW drive in at least some
configurations. So it would be nice if udev would be able to create
links like "cdwriter", "dvd" and "dvdwriter" out of the box. (And assign
the appropriate group to the device nodes...)

You can do that, just name them differently based on the type of device.
Also, try providing a symlink to "cdrom" to not break what users are
expecting.

Would you care to explain how to do it?

TIA,
Dominik