Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 021 release

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 20:27:16 EST

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:53:05PM +0100, Michael Weiser wrote:
> > > This item keeps coming up as the one feature that devfs has and udev
> > > does not. It keeps getting dismissed. Users seem to actually want it...
> > Users need to learn that the kernel is changing models from one which
> > automatically loaded modules when userspace tried to access the device,
> > to one where the proper modules are loaded when the hardware is found.
> Is this a general roadmap decision already made by all the developers or
> a proposal? If the latter I'd very much like to advocate for the old
> model.

Sorry, but you're a bit late. We've been moving this way since before
2.4.0.

The fact that module unload even works today is a blessing due to all of
the well-documented issues involved. I doubt any distro will enable
module unloading because of it.

> If udev support for yet undriven but present hardware is so hard to
> implement I can certainly live with a partly static /dev.

That's fine, and the proper response, as it's impossible to sove with
udev.

> > Note that this is a much more sane model due to removable devices, and
> > instances of multiple types of the same kind of devices in the same
> > system.
> I have to admit - I haven't become aware of the issue until recently
> when trying to switch from 2.4 to 2.6 and seeing that devfs is
> depreceated now. Where do the problems lie with the current model? (I
> don't mean devfs vs. udev now - I read the README.)

{sigh} Please read the archives. This comes up about every other week
these days it seems...

thanks,

greg k-h