Re: kgdb support in vanilla 2.6.2

From: George Anzinger
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 19:47:31 EST

Amit S. Kale wrote:
On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 5:22 am, George Anzinger wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

George Anzinger <george@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Often it is not clear just why we are in the stub, given that
we trap such things as kernel page faults, NMI watchdog, BUG macros and
such.

Yes, that can be confusing. A little printk on the console prior to
entering the debugger would be nice.

That assumes that one can do a printk and not run into a lock. Far better
IMNSHO is to provide a simple way to get it from gdb. One can then even
provide a gdb macro to print the relevant source line and its surrounds. I
my lighter moments I call this the comefrom macro :) In my kgdb it would
look like:

l * kgdb_info.called_from

How about echoing "Waiting for gdb connection" stright into the serial line without any encoding? Since gdb won't be connected to the other end, and many a times a minicom could be running at the other end, it'll give a user an indication of kgdb being ready.

Uh, different solution for a different problem. The above command to gdb causes the source code around the location "kgdb_info.called_from" to be displayed. In the -mm version, this is location is filled in by kgdb with the return address for the "kgdb_handle_exception()". This allows you to see just why you are in kgdb.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx