Re: init dies after reboot

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 11:56:59 EST

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Anonymous wrote:

> Hello
>
> I encountered a strange problem, and i'm not sure that
> it originates or not in the kernel.
> the probl. is that on many slack boxes init dies after
> some time, but the OS is still up and running.
> if I 'ps aux' the machine,no init, and /proc/1 doesn't
> exist.
> although, `lsof | grep init` shows:init 1
> root cwd DIR 8,3 472 2 /
> init 1 root rtd DIR 8,3
> 472 2 /
> init 1 root txt REG 8,3
> 468916 15607 /sbin/init
> init 1 root 0r CHR 1,3
> 5659 /dev/null
> init 1 root 1u CHR 1,3
> 5659 /dev/null
> init 1 root 2u CHR 1,3
> 5659 /dev/null
> init 1 root 10u FIFO 8,3
> 137774 /dev/initctl
>

> Any kind of ideea?
>
> Thanks,
> Uwe Bower

The kernel will never send a signal 9 to init. However, it can
send many other signals. If the signal handler in init got
corrupt from a buffer overrun, bad memory, etc., it's quite
possible for init to die. When it dies, it would usually
die as a result of a seg-fault. You can observe /proc/1/cwd to
see where init lives. There may be a core-file in that directory.
The core-file might be able to give you a hint. Also, somebody
who has su privs can `cp /dev/random /dev/initctl` with some
interesting results.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).