Re: [Swsusp-devel] Re: Dropping CONFIG_PM_DISK?

From: Michael Frank
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 07:50:39 EST

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:39:52 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> - that 2.4 style PM got depreciated and let die before the
>> "new-driver-model" PM is workin
>
> Except that it never worked

It is actively used for ide, network, serial drivers with swsusp2.

Without any proper ordering guarantee, IDE could take requests
after beeing suspended, which could be fatal (and cause data loss)
etc...

Appreciated, suspending a driver like sending XOFF to a tty is ideal,
but not neccessary for _most_ drivers (software suspend) purpose.

Wrt IDE, in practice all processes get frozen well before
suspending drivers. Tested and no issues were ever reported with 2.4.

Moving to the new model is easy. I don't see why we should have had
such a "compatibility" path on a major kernel version, that makes
no sense, just help fixing the drivers that need more fixing instead.

What for write new drivers for (fast obsoleting) hardware?.

- Developer time is the most precious resource
- Testing of drivers is in practice very difficult due to lack of
several variations of HW (one can't really test anything in one box)
- It will take _years_ for drivers to become available and reach the
stability of 2.4 drivers.
- Many drivers will die for lack of overall resources to port them.

So, why burn resources on reinventing wheels, which end up poorly
tested and run like a disk sliced of a tree...

What is needed is a _compatible_ infrastructure to _any_ 2.4 driver
in existence and also provideing rudimentary centralized suspend and
resume capability.

This infrastructure could even be a config option
CONFIG_24_DRIVER_SUPPORT
and be independent of the new model.

Then one could just drop in a driver from 2.4 and use it.

People having time to make new "pretty" drivers could
also use this facility for cross checking.

>> - that perfectly good drivers were rewritten from scratch,
>> but without functioning PM support
>
> Please, give names.

A few I tested:

AGP (sis, savage)