Re: [Alsa-devel] 2.6.4-rc1: ALSA makes invalid assumptions about memory types

From: Russell King
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 10:27:51 EST

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 01:48:52PM +0100, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Russell King wrote:
> > I believe this needs discussing with the DMA API authors on LKML since
> > AFAIK the kernel currently doesn't have a clear API to translate memory
> > returned by either pci_alloc_consistent() or dma_alloc_coherent() back
> > to it's consituent struct page pointers.
>
> We can do some #ifdef hacks in our code, of course, but a function
> doing this abstraction in kernel for given architecture would be much
> better of course.

I've been thinking about something like:

struct page *dma_map_to_page(struct device *dev, void *cpu_addr,
dma_addr_t dma_addr, int page_offset);

Where:
- dev is the struct device which was passed to dma_alloc_coherent()
- cpu_addr is the address returned from dma_alloc_coherent()
- dma_addr is the DMA address returned from dma_alloc_coherent()
- page_offset is the offset into the mapping.

This allows an architecture to define the above as a macro. If the
architecture is coherent (ie, as x86 is), then they only need to do
this in their asm/dma-mapping.h header:

#define dma_map_to_page(dev,cpu,dma,off) virt_to_page((cpu) + (off) << PAGE_SHIFT)

This reflects essentially what we have today in snd_pcm_mmap_data_nopage().

However, in the non-coherent case, this becomes very much architecture
dependent, and an architecture probably wants to translate either the
DMA address or CPU address to a struct page by some method.

> > The way architectures mark their mappings uncacheable and/or only
> > writecombining is architecture specific... see drivers/video/fbmem.c
> > as an example.
>
> It's real mess. I think that this setup should be moved to linux/arch
> tree, too.

I think we just need to make sure that architectures define
pgprot_writecombine() and pgprot_uncached(), like ARM and ia64 both
do.

> > 2) PCM mmap control/status mappings
> >
> > These suffer from a similar cache coherency problem - you can not
> > assume that two different mappings of the same page will not alias
> > in the CPUs caches.
> >
> > In my case on ARM, not only must the user space mappings of these
> > structures be marked uncacheable, but also the kernel space mappings
> > of the same to ensure that accesses via both mappings always return
> > up to date information.
> >
> > I have hacks in my tree which work around this using ARM specific
> > functionality, but this is very much architecture specific at the
> > moment, and I suspect requires a new kernel API for creating memory
> > (it's similar to the DMA case above.)
>
> It's same problem. We need that a function in kernel API will do this
> for us to avoid #ifdefs for all architectures.

I think for the moment we'll leave this issue alone for now (and I'll
put up with the hacks.) Once we've sorted (1) out, we should have a
better idea how to sort (2).

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/