Re: A Layered Kernel: Proposal

From: Christer Weinigel
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 07:38:28 EST

Grigor Gatchev <grigor@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > In the linux kernel I think that one of the most important things I've
> > learned from it: middle layers are usually wrong. Instead of hiding a
> > device driver behind a middle layer, expose the low level device
> > driver, but give it a library of common functions to build upon. That
> > way the driver is in control all the time and can use all the neat
> > features of the hardware if it wants to, but for all the common tasks
> > that have to be done, hand them over to the library.
>
> By principle, the "least common denominator" type container layers are
> bad, because of not being extendable; you are completely right here. A
> class-like driver object model seems better to me. And the class-like
> model is not the only one that is nicely extendable.

> You seem to be knowledgeable on the topic - what driver object model
> would you suggest for a driver layer model?

Thanks for the confidence, bur I really don't know, it's much easier
to criticize someone elses design than to come up with a good one
myself. :-)

With that said, I think that they way the Linux kernel is moving
regarding to IDE/SCSI devices is a good idea. Linux has been around
for a while now and the Linux people have tried lots of things that
turned out not to be such a good idea after all. Many things are
still there in the kernel, but if it's important enough, it gets
cleaned up after a while.

/Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@xxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.weinigel.se