Re: 2.4.23aa2 (bugfixes and important VM improvements for the highend)

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 01:38:07 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
Then again, your stuff will also find pages the moment they're
cleaned, just at the cost of a (little?) bit more CPU time.

exactly, that's an important effect of my patch and that's the only
thing that o1 vm is taking care of, I don't think it's enough since the
gigs of cache would still be like a memleak without my code.

... however, if you have a hundred gigabyte of memory, or
even more, then you cannot afford to search the inactive
list for clean pages on swapout. It will end up using too
much CPU time.

The FreeBSD people found this out the hard way, even on
smaller systems...

So that's what the inact_clean list is for in 2.4-rmap.

But your inactive lists are always much smaller than the active list on the smallish (< 1.5G) machines...