Re: Worrisome IDE PIO transfers...

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 20:00:12 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
[ Geert added to cc: ]

On Sunday 29 of February 2004 00:24, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Looking at the function that is used to transfer data when in PIO mode...

void taskfile_output_data (ide_drive_t *drive, void *buffer, u32 wcount)
{
if (drive->bswap) {
ata_bswap_data(buffer, wcount);
HWIF(drive)->ata_output_data(drive, buffer, wcount);
ata_bswap_data(buffer, wcount);
} else {
HWIF(drive)->ata_output_data(drive, buffer, wcount);
}
}

Swapping the data in-place is very, very wrong... you don't want to be
touching the data that userspace might have mmap'd ... Additionally,
byteswapping back and forth for each PIO sector chews unnecessary CPU.

This is used for accessing "normal" disks on beasts with byte-swapped IDE
bus (Atari/Q40/TiVo) and "byteswapped" disks on normal machines.

[ Hm. actually I don't see how it can be used for accessing "normal" disks,
as data is byteswapped by IDE bus and then swapped back by IDE driver. ]

Yeah, just byteswapped disks are affected.

Manfred noticed the same issue some time ago:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0201.0/0768.html
but discussion ended without final conclusion.

I like Alan's idea to use loopback instead of "bswap".

Neat but no more zerocopy that way. I much prefer a swap-as-you-go...

Seems to me the architecture's OUTS[WL] hook (or a new, similar hook)
that swaps as it writes would be _much_ preferred, and eliminate this
possible data corruption issue.

I think something similar has been already done
(grep for insw_swapw/outsw_swapw in ide-iops.c and asm-m68k/ide.h).

Yeah, but this would need to be per-device... I agree all the other pieces are already present.

Jeff