Re: 2.4.23aa2 (bugfixes and important VM improvements for the highend)

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 09:58:20 EST

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I agree, I thought about it too, but I didn't mention that since
> theoretically 4:4 has a chance to start with a stack at 3G and to depend
> on the userspace startup to relocate it at 4G ;). x86-64 does something
> like that to guarantee 100% compatibility.

Personalities work fine for that kind of thing. The few buggy
apps that can't deal with addresses >3GB (IIRC the JVM in the
Oracle installer) get their stack at 3GB, the others get their
stack at 4GB.

> I think it's very fair to benchmark vsyscalls with 2.5:1.5 vs vsyscalls
> with 4:4.

The different setups should definately be benchmarked. I know
we expected the 4:4 kernel to be slower at everything, but the
folks at Oracle actually ran into a few situations where the 4:4
kernel was _faster_ than a 3:1 kernel.

Definately not what we expected, but a nice surprise nontheless.

> Now that x86 is dying it probably don't worth to mark the binaries,

All you need to do for that is to copy some code from RHEL3 ;)

> I agree having the stack growsdown at 128 is the best for the db setup,

Alternatively, you start the mmap at "stack start - stack ulimit" and
grow it down from there. That still gives you 3.8GB of usable address
space on x86, with the 4:4 split. ;)

cheers,

Rik