Re: sched domains kernbench improvements

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 06:25:08 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:15, Nick Piggin wrote:

Con Kolivas wrote:

Hi Nick

So it is more a matter of tuning than anything fundamental

Geez I know how you feel... :-D

I tried it on the X440 with sched smt disabled

better than before but still slower than vanilla on half load; however
better than vanilla on optimal and full load now! I wonder whether the
worse result on half load is as relevant since this is 8x HT cpus?

Thanks. Yep the drop off at half load is to be expected with
CONFIG_SCHED_SMT turned off.

Will this affect the SCHED_SMT performance and should I do a round of benchies with this enabled?

It will as far as balancing between physical CPUs, yes. It probably
doesn't make quite a big difference because it is less of a problem
if one sibling goes idle than if one CPU (in the 8-way) goes idle).

But if you could do a round with SCHED_SMT enabled it would be very
nice of you ;)