Re: Gentoo mm-sources-2.6.3 kenrel's problem

From: Alexander Hoogerhuis
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 08:56:16 EST

mru@xxxxxx (Måns Rullgård) writes:

> duoduo <kfduoduo@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > when i issue sync command immediately after deleting
> > a large file or directory, the whole system will
> > freeze
> > with no reaction, only could do rebooting
>
> What filesystem? What type of disk? Does the machine respond to
> network? Is the error easily reproducible? Try it at a text console
> and see if there's a panic message.

I'm seeing this on a handfull of HP DL360G3's, all using the
cciss-driver for RAID; running 2.6.3-mm2 (with Andrews sync-fix
patch). Currently installed with gentoo "testing" (~x86 keyword), and
they will hang on occation when running mke2fs, and about half the
time when executing something like this:

umount /some/dir && mke2fs -j -L /some/dir /dev/cciss/c0d0p5 && mount /some/dir

All filesystems (12 of them) are formatted as ext3, I'm using udev,
not devfs FWIW. Let me know if I can be of more help.

The machines will be fully respons network-wise, it only seems that
disk I/O hangs at that point; it wont perform a new login or an
already open prompt won't do anything but hang at that point.

mvh,

Alexander Hoogerhuis | alexh@xxxxxxxxxxx
CCNP - CCDP - MCNE - CCSE | +47 908 21 485
"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." --Scott McNealy