Re: 2.4.25 - large inode_cache

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 07:34:42 EST

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 05:43:49PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > Any allocator will cause VM pressure.
> >
> > But won't all of the knfsd allocations be by necessity GFP_NOFS to avoid
> > deadlocks, so they will be unable to clear inodes or dentries? Both
> > shrink_icache_memory() and shrink_dcache_memory() do nothing if __GFP_FS
> > isn't set so if there is no user-space allocation pressure we will never
> > get into the dcache/icache freeing paths from knfsd allocations.
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> AFAICS knfsd does not allocate using GFP_NOFS.

So far, it looks like the vm_vfs_scan_ratio setting of '3' (instead of
'6' which was the default) made a big difference.

Currently the machine is using about ~600MB for cache (up from ~100MB),
and about 150MB for buffers (up from 80-100MB).

I'm going to let it run a little longer just with this setting, before
experimenting further.

I'll ask around about the perceived performance of the machine, and pay
attention to it myself. I'll post the results monday or tuesday (not a
lot of interactive users during the weekend ;)

Again, thanks a lot for the quick feedback!

/ jakob