Re: A Layered Kernel: Proposal

From: Grigor Gatchev
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 04:47:48 EST

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jesse Pollard wrote:
>
> > Until you add IPSEC...
> >
> > Unless the TOE has the same security support (encrypt some packets, not
> > others, require verification from some networks, not others,...), and
> > flexibility that the Linux network stack has, and ...
>
> Exactly. I just don't see TOE as a viable option for
> networking, so I'm not too worried about not supporting
> it.

It depends. Some of these integrated gadgets aren't very successful;
others, however, are. Compare true modems to winmodems, or modern
videocards with built-in rendering etc to bare ones. Also, on embedded
systems with very tight memory and speed requirements, a TOE card may be a
bad, but the only available solution.

So, IMO, a proposed kernel model must have the means to support similar
devices. Some will be bad, but some may be good.