Re: Serial ATA (SATA) status report

From: Terje Kvernes
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 15:16:45 EST

Mark Watts <m.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > the 3w-xxxx-module works well enough in 32bit mode on AMD64.
> > sadly enough, we have had some other issues with 64bit mode, but
> > the _driver_ seems to load there as well.
>
> Do these 'issues' prevent the cards from being used at all in 64bit
> mode on AMD-64?

our issues are mostly related to getting X up and running. we've
been looking at keeping most of the userland as 32bit, but still
running a 64bit kernel. this works fine, except for the nVidia
kernel module and its attempt to talk to nVidias openGL libraries.
it's a very long story. but, as far as I remember, the 3ware card
worked fine.

> We'd really like to use the 4-port SATA 3Ware card on a Tyan Thunder
> K8W (S2885) but it'd be a bit of a waste if we can only use it in
> 32bit mode. (I assume 32bit mode means you compile for i686 instead
> of AMD-64 ?)

correct, the kernels on our AMD64-boxes are currently built for
i686. I _might_ be able to use one of our FX-51-boxes to test 64bit
usage of a 3ware PATA controller if you feel you can't take the
slight gamble. I'm not quite sure _when_ I can get this done
though, maybe within a week or two? but, since you really need to
test SATA as well, I'd advice you to get a card and test it
yourself. I'd be very surprised if it didn't work.

--
Terje