Re: [SUBJECT CHANGE]: megaraid unified driver version 2.20.0.0-alpha1

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 21:41:25 EST

Mukker, Atul wrote:
With multiple adapters, applications would need to open multiple handles.
This would somewhat complicate things for them. But keeping in line with
general expectations, we would fork the drivers for different class of
controllers now.

"opening multiple handles" is preferred. You want one discrete object per controller or per device, depending on the object in question.

I have not yet gotten strong feelings against a single driver for lk 2.4 and
lk 2.6. If this is true, we would like to keep single driver for both
kernels - since lk 2.4 still has a big lifecycle.

If you are doing multiple drivers in 2.6, it would seem better to match that as closely as possible in 2.4.

For lk 2.6, the controllers would be detected PCI ordered and because of
existing lk 2.4 setups, driver would re-order the registration based on boot
controller.

Look at my libata code -- in both 2.4 and 2.6, it uses the proper PCI API calls.

Controller order is irrelevant -- device order is what you really care about, right? This can be managed by creating a list during probe, and then executing the list after all controllers have been probed. Obviously, this excludes hotplug controllers added after the initial module_init() function exits.

Jeff