Re: Question on MODULE_VERSION macro

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 15:38:22 EST

Hi Rusty.

I have not yet fully understood why you want to parse every source file.
I can see in the implemntation that you only calculate the sum of
code-lines, and not comments.
But why do we want to add this complexity - compared to just
calculating the sum of the whole file?
If the calculated sum is being presented as based on the source code
I assume people can understand that the sum does not match even after
updating a comment.

The current implementation fails to locate include files in the local
directory when compiled using "make O=...".
This is due to the fact that some files are present in the _deps
file with full path, others with relative path.

Example:
/home/sam/bk/v2.6/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aiclib.h \
/home/sam/bk/v2.6/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.h \
$(wildcard include/config/used.h) \
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_reg.h \
/home/sam/bk/v2.6/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_inline.h \

I took a quick look and cannot explain why gcc spits out include files
with different paths.

My next question. Since we only parse a subset of the headers, is it
really needed to parse any of them?
My thinking is that we should either:
a) parse all header files (except those marked with $(wildcard))
b) parse no header files.

See also a few specific comments below.

Sam

> +/* We have dir/file.o. Open dir/.file.o.cmd, look for deps_ line to
> + * figure out source file. */
> +static int parse_source_files(const char *objfile, struct md4_ctx *md)
> +{
> + char *cmd, *file, *p, *end;
> + const char *base;
> + unsigned long flen;
> + int dirlen, ret = 0;
> +
> + cmd = malloc(strlen(objfile) + sizeof("..cmd"));

You miss a "+ 1" to count for trailing '\0'.

> +
> + base = strrchr(objfile, '/');
> + if (base) {
> + base++;
> + dirlen = base - objfile;
> + sprintf(cmd, "%.*s.%s.cmd", dirlen, objfile, base);
> + } else {
> + dirlen = 0;
> + sprintf(cmd, ".%s.cmd", objfile);
> + }
> +
> + file = grab_file(cmd, &flen);
> + if (!file) {
> + fprintf(stderr, "Warning: could not find %s for %s\n",
> + cmd, objfile);
> + goto out;
> + }
> +
> + /* There will be a line like so:
> + deps_drivers/net/dummy.o := \
> + drivers/net/dummy.c \
> + $(wildcard include/config/net/fastroute.h) \
> + include/linux/config.h \
> + $(wildcard include/config/h.h) \
> + include/linux/module.h \
> +
> + Sum all files in the same dir or subdirs.
> + */
> + /* Strictly illegal: file is not nul terminated. */
> + p = strstr(file, "\ndeps_");
> + if (!p) {
> + fprintf(stderr, "Warning: could not find deps_ line in %s\n",
> + cmd);
> + goto out_file;
> + }
> + p = strstr(p, ":=");
> + if (!p) {
> + fprintf(stderr, "Warning: could not find := line in %s\n",
> + cmd);
> + goto out_file;
> + }
> + p += strlen(":=");
> + p += strspn(p, " \\\n");
> +
> + end = strstr(p, "\n\n");
> + if (!end) {
> + fprintf(stderr, "Warning: could not find end line in %s\n",
> + cmd);
> + goto out_file;
> + }
> +
> + while (p < end) {
> + unsigned int len;
> +
> + len = strcspn(p, " \\\n");
> + if (memcmp(objfile, p, dirlen) == 0) {
> + char source[len + 1];
gcc extension, you do not want to use malloc here?

> +
> + memcpy(source, p, len);
> + source[len] = '\0';
> + printf("parsing %s\n", source);