Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

From: Matt Seitz
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 13:44:43 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
The filesystem policy _tends_ to be that dashes and spaces are turned into underscores when used as filenames. Don't ask me why (well, the space part is obvious, since real spaces tend to be a pain to use on the command line, but don't ask me why people tend to conver a dash to an underscore).

Perhaps to comply with the ISO-9660/ECMA-119 standard for CD-ROM file systems? ISO 9660/ECMA-119 requires file names to contain only 0-9, uppercase A-Z, underscore, a single dot ("."), and a single semicolon (";")[1]. For details, see section 7.5.1 of ECMA-119:

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-119.htm

[1] One can use various techniques to create file names that contain additional characters within a valid ISO 9660 file system. However, these file names may not be accessible on all operating systems.