Re: reaim - 2.6.3-mm1 IO performance down.

From: Cliff White
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 12:43:10 EST

> cliff white <cliffw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > For the same test on the same machine, results from 2.6.2-rc1-mm2 and 2.6.2
> -rc3-mm1
> > were within 1.0% of the linux-2.6.2 runs. So this is new.
> >
> > More data and tests if requested - are there some patch sets we should try
> reverting?
>
> Thanks. You could try reverting adaptive-lazy-readahead.patch. If it is
> not that I'd be suspecting CPU scheduler changes. Do you have uniprocessor
> test results?

I have them for 2.6.3-mm3, am re-running 2.6.3-mm1 right now.
Gross results are within 1%, but looking at the detail, i do see badness,
example:

Kernel Users Run time
2.6.3 20 32.11
2.6.3-mm3 20 35.47

2.6.3 40 63.64
2.6.3-mm2 40 66.33

Again, this shows up best on the bottom graph on the page.
Graphn of 2.6.3 vs 2.6.3-mm3 :
http://developer.osdl.org/cliffw/reaim/compares/r_comp/2.6.3_vs_mm1_1cpu/index.html
cliffw