Re: Any recommended PATA or SATA chip for kernel 2.6.x ?

From: mark
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 03:04:29 EST

> Hi,
>
> I need to build a six disk IDE md raid-5 with-in a month, Is here anyone
> and recommed some PATA or SATA chip which is known to be trouble free
> and kernel 2.6.x friendly?

3ware Escalade Raid controllers are your best bet. They are supported in
the default kernel and provide web and command line administration tools
for linux.

> I found in the market that most PCI IDE card are using "siimage (CMD?),
> HiPoint and IT8212 chip, are they working well with 2.6.x ?

Well when considering SATA last time I checked libata (library used by
open source SATA drivers) didn't support hotswapping. So really you can't
build a proper RAID 5 array without that. Some one can correct me if
Hotswap has now been added.

Some of the proprietary drivers may support hotswap, but I really don't
know. I know we played with the SIL3112a but never tried hotswap.