Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 17:13:03 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Sean Fao wrote:

Linus Torvalds wrote:

Now, I'm not above complaining about Intel (in fact, the Intel people seem
to often think I hate them because I'm apparently the only person who gets
quoted who complains about bad decisions publicly), but at least I try to
avoid complaining before-the-fact ;)

It must come with the territory ;-). Your message has already made it to
Slashdot so I'm sure this time will be no different.

Yeah, and that's unfair to Intel. They've done the right thing technically, and I applaud them for that, but their marketing people are pricks.

Everybody else is "Intel-compatible" when they make x86 chips. Intel is
apparently a bit too used to _not_ saying "AMD-compatible".

Oh, well. The marketing people are probably proud of their "branding", and screw the confusion.

I've been reading some people's comments relating to this, and it reflects a glimmer of an idea that occurred to me initially. To begin with, I completely agree that it was unethical for Intel to imply that this was their innovation, giving no credit to AMD. It was wrong, and they should be ashamed.

On the other hand, I don't see how Intel's marketing department could possibly justify to themselves doing "the right thing". In this case, doing the right thing would be very bad for business, because giving proper credit would be like saying, (to paraphrase one commenter on osnews) "Well... we're behind the times, so we had to copy AMD's ideas, so there's little point in buying from us, because we didn't really do anything interesting, so you might as well give your business to AMD instead. They're smarter than us."

Intel, being an organization driven by marketing and image, really CANNOT "do the right thing" without some kind of penalty that they would find unacceptable. Mind you, if Intel were driven by _performance_ and _superior_products_, rather than marketing, things would be a lot different. That is to say, Intel's MUCH BIGGER sin is putting marketing ahead of technical merit. (Hmmm, seems to me I've seen this sort of attitude elsewhere in the wintel industry.)