Re: PROBLEM: 2.6.3 + external firewire dvd writer - frequent freezes

From: Tillmann Steinbrecher
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 10:50:35 EST

Hi,

> I'm using an external FireWire DVD writer (Plextor 708 in case w/Oxford
> 911 chipset). This was working fine until kernel 2.6.2.
> > Since I upgraded to 2.6.3, it frequently happens that the system totally
> freezes when trying to write a DVD. It's really a hard crash, no mouse
> movement, no ping on the network. Reset required.
> > It doesn't happen each time I try to burn a DVD, but in about 20% the
> cases. So basically the writer is unusable with 2.6.3

Can you enable spinlock debug so we can see if this is a race condition
somewhere?

Thanks for your reply. What option do I have to enable exactly? CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP? Anything else required? Also, how do I get access to the results of the debugging? I mean, it's really a hard crash, no messages visible (that is, when running X), no logging to syslog, etc.

Also - can this possibly be related to the "growisofs problem with 2.6.3" that was discussed at various places (and a patch was posted too) - I have this problem, too, since the upgrade to 2.6.3. Just in case you havent followed the discussion, here are two links:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&selm=c153vj%242vep%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=growisofs+2.6.3&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&selm=linux.scsi.20040221112550.6aec57eb.mike%40it-loops.com&rnum=4

Right now I can't do tests, since I'm away from home, and if I trigger a crash from remote I'm in trouble since I still need the machine; but I'm willing to test patches as soon as I'm back.

bye,
Tillmann