Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 08:23:27 EST

John Heil wrote:

I'll second that.

For whatever it's worth I replaced all my intel business boxes w AMD
w the advent of the K7/Athlon's and haven't looked back since,
including SMP. Next up for us will be dual Opteron. I cannot see
ever returning to Intel.

This is not a comment in favor of Intel... just a lament...

Things may have changed, but when I last built a Linux box (Athlon XP 2800+), I was not able to find a motherboard for recent AMD processors with 64bit/66mhz PCI slots. If I'd needed that, I would have had to go with Intel.