Re: network / performance problems

From: Ron Peterson
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 17:22:13 EST

more graphs, and more graphs.

http://depot.mtholyoke.edu:8080/tmp/must-mhc/2002-02-23_17:00/

The monitoring machine, must, had until noon been up for 223 days,
running kernel 2.4.20. I ping'd 'mhc' from must this morning, and
consistently recieved a response time of 0.2 ms. It is using the 3c59x
module, w/ a 3c905C-TX card.

options 3c59x options=4 full_duplex=1

Just before noon, I compiled 2.4.24 on must. Everything else is the
same, except I started running smokeping.

Now, these graphs aren't really long enough to reliably indicate a
trend. But so far, they are showing ever increasing mhc ping reponse
times. The same trend can be seen for other machines being monitored.

I plan to let this run this way for awhile. Then I will boot back to
2.4.20 for comparison.