Re: [Patch 1/6] dm: endio method

From: Mike Christie
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 17:17:03 EST

Hey Joe,

Joe Thornber wrote:

Mike,

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 01:58:38AM -0800, Mike Christie wrote:

Saving and restoring bi_bdev is going to break multipath.

Yes, we'll have to fall back to plan A and use the map_context pointer
to hold the path being used (attached patch for illustration only). I
had been hoping we could keep the map_context unused so that we could
allow the path selectors to use it. I should have spotted this.

I'll also move the failed bio remap back to mpath_end_io(), so that
the context can be reused there (it moved to the daemon when we were
trying to do path testing in the kernel).

With this move if the path has to be activated first, will the daemon have to call some sort of ps_path_is_initialized() function before it calls generic_make_request?

It might be easier if mp's map_io call did not move so it or the ps could send commands and wait for the response before selecting a path. I guess this would mean you would have to add a access function for the tio's map_info so it could be set from the daemon, or mp may need to allocate its own io wrapper. It seems the latter may now be needed to give ps's a a map_info, becuase dm-mpath needs to store the path in the tio's map_info.

Mike