Re: fbdv/fbcon pending problems

From: Thorsten Kranzkowski
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 15:39:51 EST

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:53:14AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> - mach64 lockups on LT-G (I'll try on an LT-Pro soon) plus other
> mach64 bugs in the new version in the bk fbdev, I'll have a patch for
> some of the problems, but I didn't find a good explanation for the
> accel lockups yet

Question: Is fbdev supposed to work without BIOS?

I have an ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP in an Alpha AXPpci33,
currently running with MILO as firmware/bootloader.
For several reasons I want to change to the original SRM firmware.
Unfortunately its intel_cpu/BIOS emulation locks up on the ATI BIOS. With
the BIOS disabled the SRM succeeds loading the kernel. fbdev seems to
initialize _something_, i.e. the monitor wakes up ans displays a stable
repeating pattern of vertical stripes. But it hangs the machine after
these lines on serial console:

fb0: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Booting the same kernel image (2.6.[13]) with MILO (which has a different
cpu emulation that succeeds executing the BIOS) works fine with fbdev.

Bye,
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski Internet: dl8bcu@xxxxxxxxx |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134 Snail: Kiebitzstr. 14, 49324 Melle, Germany |