Re: ACPI and ISA IRQ 9, Linux 2.4

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 11:14:39 EST

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
Hi,

I think this is a known problem, but I don't know how to fix it:

I have a dual Pentium-2 machine (non-SCSI Asus P2B-D), latest BIOS with
ACPI etc. It has an ISA card (serial port) using IRQ 9 (I can't change
the IRQ). It works fine without ACPI, Linux 2.4 lists IRQ 9 as
APIC edge-triggered.

With acpi=force (due to BIOS date) IRQ 9 is used by ACPI. /proc/interrupts
lists it as APIC level-triggered, and the ISA card no longer generates
interrupts.

IRQ 9 is set to "ISA" in BIOS setup. acpi_irq_isa=9 doesn't help.

Is is possible to fix it? Or is it just impossible to use ISA IRQ 9
with ACPI?

More details available on request, of course.

I have a similar problem, and my aha1520 can't be moved off irq9 without cutting traces on the system board. How bad is it without ACPI at all? I tried that for a while, and several other things didn't work, and it looks as if the aha1520 driver won't share irq anyway, and something else (I forget) wants that irq as well.

I boot into 2.4 to do backups, fortunately the only thing on the SCSI.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc