about 2.0 cleanup or adaption

From: Coywolf Qi Hunt
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 01:31:09 EST

David Weinehall wrote:

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:28:30AM +0000, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

Recently I just have such an idea that is to port the 2.0.39 to let it be compiled with my gcc 2.95.4 or any
other latest gcc. At the same time, also make it remain compliant to gcc 2.7.2.1. ( I can't find 2.7.2.1, only 2.7.2.3
on the ftp) Is this work worth while?

Well, for sure it's quite a demanding task, since, if I remember
correctly, the module-code uses some nasty internal gcc-knowledge to
generate code, that simply doesn't work with later versions of gcc.
It might be that I remember this incorrectly though.

I think the first problem is to adapt the some inline assembly code to new style for the strict clobber list issue in recent gcc. If it is worthwhile, I'd like to do the work.

It would be interesting, yes, but only if it can be proved to some
degree that no new bugs are introduced.

My aim for 2.0.41 is to make it a cleanup-release; remove warnings, tidy
up a little source-code mess, kill dead code, fix typos etc.

Regards: David Weinehall

I'm not sure of the defined but never used code. There's a lot.
How to deal with them?

Coywolf

--
Coywolf Qi Hunt