RE: i2c-yosemite

From: Manish Lachwani
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 23:23:41 EST

Hi Jean

Couple of things. First of all, I did not have an idea that a driver existed for Atmel 24C32 EEPROM. In case of the Yosemite chip, the MAC address of the Gigabit subsystem is stored in the EEPROM. It needs to be fetched by the Gige driver using the I2C protocol. I could not find the driver in the 2.4 tree and hence wrote one for the yosemite. I could use the existing driver, which would make sense.

Secondly, the reason why I mentioned:

"Currently, this Linux driver wont be integrated into the generic Linux
I2C framework."

is because at the time the driver was written, the chip did not exist. The idea was that once the chip is released and the driver tested, it could be checked in the generic i2c framework along with the driver for the MAX 1619 sensors chip. Now that the drivers already exist, I will use them instead.

Thanks
Manish