Re: Large slab cache in 2.6.1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 19:56:32 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is the incremental min logic doing its work though. Maybe
that should be fixed up to be less aggressive instead of putting
more complexity in the scanner to work around it.

The scanner got simpler.

Anyway could you post the patch you're using to fix it?

Sure.

Regardless of that, we do, logically, want to reclaim slab in response to
highmem reclaim pressure because any highmem allocation can be satisfied by
lowmem too.

The logical extension of that is: "we want to reclaim *lowmem* in
response to highmem reclaim pressure because any ..."

yep.

Yeah this is good. I thought the patch you were proposing was
to shrink slab on highmem pressure.

Apply some lowmem pressure due to highmem pressure THEN shrink
slab as a result of the lowmem pressure is much better.