Re: SONY SMO-F551, non-functional for a loong time :)

From: David Ford
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 19:24:25 EST

Hmm. I've since swapped that particular MO with another. The hang on boot is back unless I set the speed down to 5M/s. Still have problems reading/writing it so I'm trying a BusLogic adapter now.

Steve McIntyre wrote:

David Ford writes:

For the last couple of years, this MO drive (I have several) has been unusable. It used to lock up the machine if I had a disc inside it when I booted, but that was late in 2.5, and now with 2.6.3, it no longer hangs the machine, however, it's still not usable.

I'd love to get this bugger working, I used to use it a long long time ago in 2.4 kernels. Any suggestions?

You've got hardware problems, either media or drive:

sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
Current : sense key Hardware Error
ASC=40 ASCQ=86

Key/code/qual 4/40/86 is (IIRC) Read Channel Calibration Failure,
which means either the drive hardware is failing or (more likely) the
disk loaded is buggered and the drive can't read it any more. Try
another disk...